Monday, November 17, 2008

the last few days - some observations

So I finally have a minute to myself so I thought I would make another blog post. Life has been crazy with a lot of social stuff, 2 hours of language lessons, 7 days this week and a little bit of pre-work work as well. I officially start work tomorrow so thought I would get this one in before life gets even busier.

So this week I have been told I am beautiful which is nice. I have also been asked in the street if I am pregnant (!!!) due to being a little rounder than your typical Vietnamese person. I have been told I look like I'm Indian as well!!

I have ridden three people to a motorbike, I have carried a bunch of flowers and a birthday cake on the back of the bike, I have ridden up to the buddhist monument on the coast of Da Nang and took some great photos off the back at about 50kms an hour. I have carried a porcelain sink (no really!!) on the back of the bike.


I also had my first minor scrape tonight (literally). The bike I was on the back of, with a work friend driving scraped mirrors with another bike and my arm got a bit grazed on the other bike in the process. No biggie, but it is a reminder that little (and big) accidents can occur very easily.
Today (Sunday) was spent on 2 hours of language lesson (9am to 11am) this morning. Then I checked out another house to rent (cheap but a share house with an older Vietnamese woman and I think I want to be closer to the Beach) and then spent 2 or 3 hours swimming and having a couple of beers on China Beach. It was a beautiful day and with the minor flooding and torrential rain we've been having lately, you take any chance you can to hit the beach. I'm going to have to test my Vietnamese language skills and translate what the sign says. I am told it is referring to a rip (called a whirlpool here) and identifying this section of beach as not a safe place to swim.


Tomorrow I am off in search of a bag for my laptop and then heading into the office for some planning and admin (setting up work email account, mapping project plans and background reading etc).

Looking forward to hearing from you all (subtext - comment more!!!).
Amy xoxo

2 comments:

Phill said...

Pregnant?? Cop that! Or perhaps they were saying something else in Vietnamese that you couldn't understand... Well, it might make you feel better if you believe it anyway!

I'm on board the amy-train and this comment proves it!

-Phill

Unknown said...

hehehe, someone thought you were indian.

simple tracking
Wireless Laser Mouse